Chapter 1, Part 6 – Pre Budden Era
The “Budden Era” was about to begin and chiropractic education in Oregon and for the chiropractic profession would never be the same.
Other Early Chiropractic Colleges that Failed
During the period between 1904 and 1923, when the roots of the University of Western States were taking hold, other chiropractic colleges in Oregon emerged. However, all of them would fail and disappear entirely, leaving nothing more than a footnote in the record.
As previously mentioned, a group of dissatisfied students left Pacific Chiropractic College in 1916-1917 to form the Oregon College of Chiropractic Physicians and Surgeons. This enterprise lasted less than two years.
Dr. LaValley’s autobiographical account asserts that the corporate charter for the Oregon Peerless College of Chiropractic-Neuropathy remained viable until 1922, when he used it to form yet another new chiropractic program. On March 13, 1922, a charter was issued for the Oregon State College of Chiropractic (OSCC) located in the Stubbs Building on 6th Avenue. In an OSCC Catalog from that period, Dr. P.O. Riley is identified as president and Dr. LaValley is listed as “…in charge of the clinic work and of special lectures.”
Even though OSCC offered an 18-month long program, the record suggests the institution lasted for only one year. According to Dr. LaValley, OSCC closed due to gambling debts accrued by Dr. Riley. Students enrolled at OSCC transferred to PCC.
By one historical account, D.D. Palmer first came to Oregon in 1902, where he teamed-up with two medical doctors to open the Portland Chiropractic College. Apparently, that institution led a short life, for on July 1, 1903, Dr. Palmer was conducting a clinic in Santa Barbara, California. It is well documented that D.D. Palmer was on the West Coast during this period, but no tangible evidence has surfaced to support the claim of a Portland Chiropractic College in 1902.
The “Eugene Modern College of Chiropractic-Neuropathy and Evolutionary Academy of Rejuvenescence and Sanatorium” offered a chiropractic program as early as 1911 in Eugene, but no evidence is available to show how long the school remained in operation.
The precise founding date of the North-Western School of Chiropractic (NWSC) in LaGrande, is unknown, but the school’s annual announcement for 1913-1914 suggests that it had been operating for at least three years. G. T. Garland, DC, was listed as the president and dean; Mrs. Grace Needham, A.B., was the vice president; and Mrs. Mary V. Darland, DC, PhB, Ped.B, was the secretary-treasurer. NWSC offered a two-year program comprised of two six-month terms. Tuition was $300 for the program and a high school diploma was required for admission. The record is silent on how much longer beyond 1914 the school existed.
In 1921, chiropractic and naturopathy were taught as a combined discipline at the Portland Drugless Therapeutics Institute where Drs. Chester Easter and Virgil MacMickle served as president and vice president respectively.
Historical records also show another Portland chiropractic program was offered at the Willamette Chiropractic College in 1924. Nothing more than a passing reference is known of this institution.